Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Goals at Work

It's Goals Time at work, and I am having a hard time concentrating on these. For one I am nervous to promise too much, and for two, I want what I do to be useful, valuable, and not just a repeat of the same old same old.

It's tough trying to weigh up the monotony of the day to day, and just wanting to get through it some days, and truly making a difference, even if it means sticking out like a sore thumb. Am I wrong in thinking I am the only one experiencing this internal debate? Some people would advise me to just plough on, and others, would say keep shooting for the stars. I want to listen to the latter, but the flow of the stream as it were is firmly dragging me in the direction of the former. So I stand in the middle of the stream, getting increasingly frazzled, and am distracted.

Of course my personality and 'who I am' will only allow me to shoot for the stars, its the vague fuzziness of that, and translating this into concrete promises that I am about to make to the firm that has me nervous.

Am I overthinking this?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well all the agonizing is over with for another year, and I think I promised enough to stretch me but not so much that I am setting myself up for failure. I find that a lot in life is similar to this, finding that balance between what to say yes to, and what to say, sorry, but I can't.

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog