Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Guilt doesn't make you a better person

Early morning shower revelation, I was thinking about how we were told yesterday that the other bidders on the house we are interested in are a family with a special needs child, but they can't afford to up their bid to beat ours because they need money for a ramp (true story, or at least I really was told this by the estate agent, to what ends I don't know,  I think he was just telling me the truth though).

So that is sad and if we win and our bid beats theirs we get the house, and I feel guilty. But the truth is it doesn't matter if I feel bad about it. It doesn't matter if I decide to forgo the property to let them win because I feel bad. That would be a 'good' thing to do but it still doesn't make me a better person.

If the only reason I do anything good is because I feel guilty, or if I don't even do a good thing and just feel the guilt, I am not a better person than i was yesterday, i am still exactly the same person.

If I want to be a better person, I have to change, and to me the answer to that is to keep expanding my knowledge and taking in other people's perspectives, and develop a true empathy for their point of view. Actually see things from another perspective. If I increase my awareness then I will naturally want to do good things because I actually feel like it.

So guilt doesn't make you a better person, feeling bad about something and doing nothing but secretly wishing you did, doesn't either. I am going to actually work on being a better person and doing better things because I want to. That is the real change we need to be. Be the change we want to see in others.

No comments:

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog